Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Steamed Buns (Bakpao)

 Steamed Buns or I call it Bakpao is popular in my country. I believe the original recipe is from China and it was adapted in many countries in Asia. Steamed buns have many filling variation. You can find steamed buns with shredded beef jerky, spicy chicken or beef, sprouting seeds or mung bean, black sticky rice, etc. The one steamed buns that I really like is the steamed buns from my mom's home town, Manado. The steamed buns are big. They're double size bigger than the regular steamed buns. On the filling it has spicy sautee pork and a boiled egg. They call it "Bakpao Kawangkoan." It is so yummy! I remember I only ate one and I was completely full! If you want to know many variation of steamed buns you can click this link.

 
In this blog I'm not focus to make the filling. The filling I used was regular sausage. My husband loves steamed buns but he can't eat anything in spicy. So I choose to make them with regular sausage. This original recipe is from nenooye. Feel free to check her video. She also posted the filling recipe over there.




Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of all purpose flour.
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
  • 1 pkg or 1/2 tbsp of yeast.
  • 3/4 cup of warm water.
  • 1/2 tbsp of baking powder.
  • 2 tbsp of butter.
  • 1/4 cup of cold milk.
  • 8 muffin liners.
  • Filling as desired.
*I switched shortening with butter. I found shortening is not good for your health.





I only have five steamed buns in the pictures because my husband ate the other three :)

Note:
To make the steamed buns look whiter, add 1 tbsp of white vinegar in the water of the steamer.

2 comments: